The OIG Compliance Program Guidance for Hospitals states that “an ongoing evaluation process is critical to a successful [coding] compliance program.” It suggests that “Monitoring and Auditing,” as well as, “Response to Detected Deficiencies” is the best way to establish a firm compliance program. CMS’s Medicare Integrity Program expects that facilities will include accurate, thorough, competent, and effective auditing and monitoring of coding & billing processes as part of their overall compliance program.
One of the first steps to complying with the governmental recommendations is accurate data and reported results from an un-biased expert auditor that administrators can use to remain compliant with the OIG and to identify where opportunities for improvement exist. Whether it’s accuracy or workflow related, we work with you to refine or establish performance objectives and develop specific plans to achieve compliance and/or accuracy goals as well as workflow efficiency.
HIM Coding and Compliance Auditing includes:
- MS-DRG Validation
- APC Validation
- Coding Compliance Audits
- Coder Education and Training
- Pre-RAC Risk Assessment Reviews
- Pre-Bill Reviews
Benefits of external auditing:
- Regularly scheduled auditing keeps performance and compliance on track
- Improved quality of existing coding staff
- Preparation of operational assessments and recommendations
- Identify and guide performance improvement and change management initiatives
- Identify missed opportunities
- Governmental Compliance
The Charts In Time Advantage
- Experienced, credentialed coding auditors
- Tailored availability
- Comprehensive feedback formatted to customer request
- Remote process eliminates travel and expense
The current climate of government scrutiny in healthcare dictates the need for a structured coding auditing and compliance program. The information we can provide will prove invaluable to your organization and keep you prepared for the uncertain levels of external scrutiny imposed by regulators. We are here to partner with you to provide the right solution to meet these requirements and make you successful.